Ghost Towns & Historic Roads

Image 42 of 759
< Prev Next >
pony-express-marker-108120.tif
An obelisk marks the location of the Simpson Springs Pony Express Station near Simpson Springs in Utah's Great Salt Lake Desert. The monument was erected by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1939 or 1940 along with other sites along the Pony Express trail in Utah. The Pony Express operated as a fast mail service from April 1860 to October 1861 between St. Joseph, Missouri, to Sacramento, California. Riders mounted on horseback carried mail across the prairies, plains, deserts, and mountains significantly reducing the time it took for the mail to travel between the Atlantic and Pacific coasts to ten days. Photographed 07/07