Ghost Towns & Historic Roads

Image 8 of 759
< Prev Next >
concrete-kiln-ruins-105150.tif
The partially demolished concrete kiln and support structure wait to be hauled away from the Calaveras Concrete site near San Andreas, California. Built on speculation of a California building boom mining engineer William Wallace Mein raised 2 million dollars from investors and incorporated Calaveras Cement in San Andreas. In 1926 the plant was built and supplied 750,000 barrels of cement for the Pardee Dam in that same decade. In 1936 the plant contributed 400,000 barrels of special formula cement for the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge. In the 1980's the plant was closed and sat idle until 2005 when it was demolished. Photographed 04/05.