The remains of the Whitington Hotel in Hamilton, Nevada. In 1868 Hamilton started as a boomtown with 25,000 people migrating to the area where silver ore was for the taking. The town was the first county seat of White Pine County, from 1869 to 1887, when a fire led to its replacement by the town of Ely. In 1887 big-scale production ceased and the population left just as quickly as they had come. Today the town is abandoned with only the facades from a few of the buildings remaining. Photo taken July, 2007.