Image 1 of 1
Aguereberry Mining Camp near the Eureka Mine. Officially the site was named Harrisburg by Shorty Harris when it was founded in 1906 after he and greenhorn Pete Aguereberry found a promising looking ledge in the Panamint Mountains. While shorty went to register their claim Pete stayed behind and started working the claim, Shorty went ahead to file on the Eureka Mine in "Harrisberry". By the time Shorty had the papers completed and his tales told, word had gotten out on what had become known as "Harrisburg". Soon, over 300 people were living in tents near the camp. Only one -- Pete Aguereberry -- persisted working the claim for over forty years.